Monday, December 1, 2008

Harpoon


This probably isn't the way I should be thinking about my patients. But I haven't been able to sleep lately, and Animal Planet is the only channel that isn't trying to sell me a food processor at 3 in the morning. I've been watching humpbacks swallow Inuit canoes whole, the Alpine crest of a sperm whale crucified on a mariner's spear. I've seen Algonquin grandsons behead an orca twelve miles off on an Oregon beach, and I have gone to sleep stunned, the blue glow of the cathode sea still watermarked on my skin.

Stitching side wounds or stirring urine samples, I think back on it. Who the hell could blame me: who doesn't look out, now and then, on the solid knot of the field beyond his window and grit his teeth at the nothing that stirs beneath its surface? Feeling for the seed of a tumor, I'm yearning for some Nantucket harpoon head snared beneath the flesh, any evidence of the universe in any of us.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

saw you over on the 6 sentences blog. Good stuff there, so I popped on over here to your blog...thanks!

prashant said...

what a nice blog

How to make a website

matt said...

Funny. I used to at least occasionally peruse your space here -- but eventually gave up, it having been so long since I'd seen any words offered up for our craven pleasure.
Then, I saw your six sentences, and not making the connection, clicked through. All of which, I suppose, is a long way of saying this: would you write here, again, please?