Monday, June 23, 2008

So I Know We've Only Been Trapped In This Elevator For Ten Minutes Now.

But I really feel like it's been longer, long enough to really know you, you know? Long enough, at least, that I feel like I have things to tell you, that it's all right that we're standing close like this because we've done this all the time, for years.

So did you know that there's an organism that can survive for ten years without water, and inside of a black hole, and in the blue part of a flame? Oh, and the other day I heard about this place in Niger called the vanishing coast--and when I say vanished, I mean vanished, as in the fog gets so deep that ocean liners run up on the shore at full speed and thousands of barefoot men with blow torches have to cut them up like watermelon.

Okay, that was the wrong choice of words. How about this--in the thirties, this guy Tesla invented a peace ray that shot atomic clusters of tungsten so fast it could incinerate the Blue Angels in the middle of a dirty loop. Hey, hey, don't cry, I just--I just wanted to tell you things, things I thought you'd like to know.

What else did you expect me to say, anyways? I know this isn't the best of circumstances, but there's no sense ruining your nails like that. Besides, the alarm is going to stop any minute now, and I knew as soon as we stopped moving that it would eventually, and that I only had 264 words, at most, to make you fall in love with me.

(painting is by stina perrson)

2 comments:

Caitlin Cass said...

Kea, you write lovely things.

K said...

thank you beautiful caitlin!